[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing exterior

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Mar 14 07:57:08 PDT 2019

On 3/14/2019 10:38 AM, Daniel Dadap wrote:
>> On Mar 14, 2019, at 09:13, mayqel qunen'oS<mihkoun at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> If I wrote, {juH Hur vInguvmoH}, would you understand it as "I paint
>> the exterior of the house" ?
> I would understand that as painting the areas outside of the house: the front yard and back yard, maybe even the street. But not the exterior walls.

Yes, I expect *Hur* means /area outside/ rather than /outer surface./

We have *HurDaq tu'HomI'raHvetlh yIlan*/Get that piece of junk out of
here!/ from KCD, which clearly uses *Hur* as /area outside./

/Paq'batlh/ uses it in

    *qamchIy HurDaq
         SuvwI'pu'Daj ra' qeylIS
         SaqSub yIjaH*

    /Outside Qam-Chee,
         Kahless tells his warriors
         To go to the Saq'sub./

This, by the way, unambiguously uses *ra'* as a verb of saying.

Then there is

    *'ach botlhejQo' SuSuvQo'
         vItlhejbej jIH
         Hur ghom'a' wIqaD*

    /Yet you will not join your blades with his,
         I for one will stand with him
         To face the hordes outside./

And this, by the way, gives an example of smooshing sentences together
to form a single idea: /you won't accompany + you won't fight = you
won't fight together./

Anyway, all these examples show that *Hur* means /area outside/ instead
of /outer surface./