[tlhIngan Hol] bej and na' slang

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Tue Mar 12 10:21:20 PDT 2019

The canon from KGT:

     {bej} ("be sure, definite, positive, certain")

     The verb {bej} literally means "watch," though its slang usage is
probably influenced by the verb suffix {-bej} ("certainly, undoubtedly";
compare {voq,} "trust," and {voqbej,} "certainly trust"). It is used in
such forms as {jIbej} ("I am positive [about something I just
said]"---literally, "I watch" [{jI-,} "I"]) or {bIbej'a'?} ("Are you
sure?"---literally, "Do you watch?" [{bI-,} "you"; {-'a',}  interrogative).
Unlike the verb {na'} ("be salty"), which has an identical slang meaning
(see below), the verb {bej} may be used when  there is an object: {HIvrup
'e' vIbej} ("I am positive they're ready to attack"; literally, "I watch
that they're ready to attack"; {HIv,} "[they] attack"; {-rup,} "ready";
{'e',} "that"; {vI-,} "I [do something to] it"). The notions expressed by
{bej} can be conveyed without slang with a word such as {Honbe'} ("not
doubt") or by making use of the verb suffix {-bej,} as in {HIvrupbej}
("They're certainly ready to attack").

qurgh