[tlhIngan Hol] Does Da necessarily require an object ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 6 07:09:42 PST 2019

Here are the examples of {Da} that I know of:

  nepwI' Daba'
  He is obviously lying. (TKD)

  HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH. vaj
  loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'
  space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration, intrigue and
  and enterprise that mark the continuation of the human adventure into space... (S99)

  yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD HoD.
  Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who
  was acting as Arbiter of Succession. (S25)

  SuvwI' DameH puqloDwI' vIghojHa'moH DaH 'e' vItlhoj
  I see now, I have failed to raise my son a man. (PB)

  jIlay'ta' 'ej batlh jIpabta' vaj choDanIS
  I have kept my word of honor, and so should you (PB)

For another types of "behave" see {Qaq} "behave falsely honorably, behave in a falsely honorable manner" (HolQeD 12.3) and {tIw} "behave/react emotionally" (qepHom 2017).  Regardng the latter, Lieven asked Okrand the same question mayqel did (qepHom 2017 p.13):

  LLL: 	Can {tIw} take an object?  As with meaning of "feeling emotions", being
	  one's own, or someone else emotions?
  MO: 	No. I don't think it can take an object. You'd probably say something like:
	  {cheghDI' bangwI' jItIw}.

Lieven later forwarded (2/02/2018) another example from Okrand:

  DaghIjlu'chugh bItIwqu'
  Fear speaks very loud.
  ("If you're scared, you'll react really emotionally")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons