[tlhIngan Hol] two type-5 on a {-bogh} phrase

terrence.donnelly at sbcglobal.net terrence.donnelly at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 27 10:44:16 PDT 2019

 Apparently the understanding of this has gotten considerably more elastic since the last time I checked in. What I understood from Okrand's statement was that the head noun of the relative clause (which could be the subject or the object) can only be the subject or object of the main verb as well, due to the intrinsic nature of Klingon. That is, subjects and objects in Klingon are unmarked, and that holds true for nouns in a relative phrase, also. Any other nouns in the phrase (not in a N1-N2 construction or a timestamp) require a suffix and are therefore marked. For either of those nouns in a relative phrase to take a Type-5 suffix, they would simultaneously be both marked and unmarked. I don't think Okrand could figure out how that would work, and neither can I.

Believe me, I have long and fervently wished you could use Type-5s on nouns in a relative phrase (and probably did it a time or two), but I no longer think it is possible.

Your last example just reads to me "I am on a ship spying on (something) I am evading." I don't believe that {Duj} can simultaneously be a locative with {-Daq} and the object of {jun}. Is there canon that supports this?

ter'eS