[tlhIngan Hol] Do epithets behave as nouns ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Jun 28 06:51:26 PDT 2019

On 6/28/2019 9:44 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> SuStel:
> > And yes, the petaQmey is used for beings > capable of using
> language. They're not
> > scattered all about in the passage, so it's > being used insultingly.
>
> I can't understand though, why the {-mey} instead of {-pu'}. Is this
> some special case, as in {Dojmey}, which has {-mey} even if referring
> to beings capable of language ?

It's because they're /p'takhs!/ What other reason do you need?

The full stanza is:

    *nItlhejbogh petaQmey
         tInuD chaHvaD
         nIb yan wIjwI' jan je*

    /Look at these p'takhs at your side,
         They don't know how to distinguish
         A sword from a plough!/

The idea is that they're so stupid, Molor is going to refer to them as
if they were things instead of people.