[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'uch

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 03:03:16 PDT 2019

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 at 17:00, Klingon Word of the Day <kwotd at wizage.net>
wrote:

> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, June 15, 2019
>
> Klingon word: 'uch
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: hold, grasp
> Source: KGT

Are there *two* entries for {'uch} in KWOTD? We just had this one less than
3 months ago:

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 at 16:00, Klingon Word of the Day <kwotd at wizage.net>
wrote:

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, March 21, 2018
>
> Klingon word: 'uch
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: grasp
> Source: qep'a' 24

The additional information revealed at {qep'a'} 24 (2017) is that {'uch}
can be used in a weapons context to mean "locking on a target": {DoS
'uchta'} "he/she locked on the target".

It was also revealed at the next {qep'a'} (2018) that {'uch} can take
{'olQan} as its object, in which case the expression is often translated as
"occupy" or "take up" (space).

These are obviously meant to be applications of the same verb, but if the
weapons-related meaning were to have a separate entry (which it does in
{boQwI'}), it should be something like "lock on (a target)". The definition
"grasp" is already in KGT.

--
De'vID