[tlhIngan Hol] using {chol}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Fri Jun 14 10:17:02 PDT 2019

I completely agree with you, IF {chol} works like {ghoS}. It probably does, but there’s no canon to back up that presumption.

SuStel’s approach is conservative. I’m sure that his suggested grammar works. I think that your suggested grammar works as well. I think that both work, but if I had to put money on it, I’d go with SuStel, because there is no rule that a verb can use based on its meaning to make it behave grammatically like {ghoS}. Okrand (or Maltz) can arbitrarily declare a verb to work like {ghoS} or not.

SuStel’s suggestion would work for either {Sum} or {ghoS}. Your suggestion works with {ghoS}, but not {Sum}.

So, if you want to treat it like {ghoS}, I don’t think anyone would misunderstand you or give you TOO much sass in conversation or casual writing, but if you are writing something that might stick around for a while, such that you could be embarrassed by investing in an interpretation that ultimately is proven wrong, then SuStel’s approach is probably wiser.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.