[tlhIngan Hol] laj lajQo' {-vIp} and imperatives

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Jun 10 09:35:58 PDT 2019

On the one hand, {-Ha’} and {-Qo’} are immovable rovers simply because they are. It’s just an arbitrary point of grammar in Klingon, similar to many arbitrary points of grammar in any other language.

Meanwhile, I can see the logic behind these suffixes appearing as they do. {-Ha’} naturally applies to the verb root, essentially creating a kind of antonym, then modified by all the other suffixes to make the core sentence. Yes, there can be imagined cases where you might want to do otherwise, but generally speaking, {-Ha’} naturally applies to the root verb.

{-Qo’} most typically applies to the entire action of the sentence. “Don’t” do whatever the whole sentence tells you, including all the affixes.” Again, you might be able to imagine a case different from this, but clearly the majority of cases fits this pattern.

Sent from my iPhone.
charghwI’