[tlhIngan Hol] Imperatives and type nine suffixes

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Jun 10 09:25:01 PDT 2019

On 6/10/2019 12:14 PM, Ed Bailey wrote:
> SuStel, I expected.you to object, even though wording like "no reason
> to believe" and "let's suppose" make it obvious that it's just
> speculation. But if I danced to your tune, I'd never get to speculate
> at all because I'd be spending all my time on the impossible task of
> composing a disclaimer sufficient for a reader as infinitely careless
> and obtuse as the one you envision.

Regarding obtuseness, I have one word for you: *'I'.*

As for dancing to my tune, I didn't ask you to dance or tell you to
stop. I said I didn't think it was particularly constructive.

> As for whether we can use Type 9 suffixes on imperative verbs, I'd go
> beyond what you say, that you don't think so. I'd say flat out that we
> can't do it.

If you can go beyond "don't think so," then please demonstrate how you
know this for a fact.

> But I'm not going to tell Klingons they can't.

Neither am I. None of us are Klingons.

> Since Daniel raised the possibility, it's fun (for me, at least, if
> not for you) to imagine a Klingon using this weird grammar and to try
> to figure out what the intended meaning is. If ever there were canon
> examples of this weird grammar, hopefully Maltz would explain, as he
> has in the past.

Daniel was asking for someone to show him an example of an imperative
with a syntactic suffix that made sense, not to try to find ways to make
sense out of a combination that doesn't seem to make sense.