[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HeDon

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 5 08:16:43 PDT 2019

Klingon word: HeDon
Part of speech: noun
Definition: parallel course
Source: TKD

AFAIK never used in a sentence	.

(De'vID, 11/19/2014) :  I actually specifically asked [Okrand] about how to use {Don}, and whether {DonHa'} means "perpendicular". The reason I asked about {Don} is that it's defined as both "be parallel" and "go parallel to", suggesting it can either take a plural subject (?{Don rav, rav'eq je}) or an object (?{'entepray' Don Qo'noS wa'}).

(De'vId, 11/16/2014):  While {Don} means “be parallel,” {DonHa’} does not mean “be perpendicular.” It means something like “be misaligned.” The word for “be perpendicular” is {leD} and it’s normally used with a plural subject:  {leD rav tlhoy’ je} “the floor and the wall are perpendicular (to each other).” The word {leD} is also used to indicate a right angle: {tajvaj leD}.

  "For parallel universe, I’d go with {'u' quq}, using {quq} "happen simultaneously, be simultaneous". (Lieven < MO, 1/08/2018)

TREK TRIVIA:
  A Klingon D-7 battlecruiser maintained a parallel course with the Enterprise to Troyius. "He's paralleling us again." (Spock, TOS "Elaan of Troyius")

  "We are on a parallel course with [the asteroid-ship] Yonada." (TOS "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky")

SEE:
He  		course,  route (n)
Don 		be parallel, go parallel to (v)

SEE ALSO: