[tlhIngan Hol] Difference between "all X" and "all of X"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 21 08:49:24 PDT 2019

See however  {qamchIy Hoch negh} “The men of Qam-Chee” (PB p.131, lit. “soldiers”).

For {Hoch} following  a noun:

   nIn Hoch natlhlu'pu'
   All the fuel has been consumed.  (KGT)

and there’s {Qapla'meywIj Hoch} in:

   bIlay'DI' qaHarbe'
    [...]
   jIlay'DI' reH batlh jIpabchugh
   Qapla'meywIj Hoch vIta'ta' 'e' DaHar'a'
   quv vuv nuv pagh ghajbogh neH

   Your word means nothing to me,
    [...]
   Did you think that my word of honor
   Would have carried me this far?
   Honor is for those with nothing to lose!" (PB, p.156)

--
Voragh

From: SuStel

On 6/21/2019 11:16 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:

FYI I found one example of the {Hoch} modifying a NOUN+NOUN phrase :

   QaptaHvIS So'wI', Hoch jagh Dujmey DaQotlh.

   Disable all enemy ships while cloaked. (MKE)

{Hoch jagh Dujmey} "all enemy ships" NOT  *{jagh Hoch Dujmey}.

Can anyone think of another example?

Hoch puq poH all ages (paq'batlh), literally each child period. puq poH is known to mean generation. Hoch is modifying puq poH.

Also from paq'batlh: Hoch Qo'noS nuvpu' every Klingon on the planet, literally all Kronos people. It's specifically not Qo'noS Hoch nuvpu' Kronos's all the people.

We also have canon for X Hoch in paq'batlh: QeHDaj Hoch all his rage.