[tlhIngan Hol] According to Matthew chapter 1 (quotations punctuated)

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 4 09:31:35 PDT 2019

According to a post by taD from June 2003, apparently Okrand was not involved.  Here’s what I have in my notes:

STAR TREK: FAJO COLLECTION

Qapla' CARD SERIES
(Published in HolQeD 9.4:16)

qaghwI'
Interrupter

The Klingon text is limited to some familiar epigrams:

DabuQlu'DI' yISuv.
bISovbejbe'DI' tImer.
Suvlu'taHvIS yapbe' HoS neH.
tIqDaq HoSna' tu'lu'.
may'meyDajvo' Haw'be' tlhIngan.

and also instructions for card use:

DuHIvchugh ghol vaj qaStaHvIS may'vetlh HoSDaq
ghob luchel quv ghajbogh tlhInganpu'lI'.  (vI'be'.)

["If an enemy attacks you, then during that battle your Klingons which have Honor add Integrity to Strength. (Does not accumulate.)" (untranslated on card)]

(qurgh 6/19/2003): "In the card game all the characters have 3 statistics: Integrity, Strength and Cunning. When you play the Qapla' card (it's a qaghwI' - Interrupt card which can be played at any time) it lets you add the Integrity value of your Klingon characters to their Strength values, making them harder to kill in a battle. E.g. Kurn has Integrity of 6 and a Strength of 7, he gets in a battle, you play the Qapla' card and his Strength becomes 7+6=13, really tough. … 'Does not accumulate' means if you play two Qapla' cards you can't add Integrity twice … Otherwise you would be able to play 4 Qapla's (the max number in a deck) and have super-Klingons with massive amounts of strength. When the fight is over their Strength goes back to normal … Honor is a skill that a character can have. It's listed on the cards, along with skills like Leadership, Anthropology, Computer Science. Some Klingons do not have honor (Duras for example) and some non-Klingons have honor … The story behind the card was that they wanted to do the entire set in Klingon, but there were some major words missing that they needed. So instead they just did one custom one. … I don't know if Okrand had anything to do with the card, but from reading the booklet that comes with the Fajo Collection I don't think he did.

(taD 6/19/2003):  I collected the card game when it first came out (I have since stopped; it got somewhat expensive and I didn't have anyone nearby to play with :-). When they announced that there was going to be a tlhIngan Hol card, I emailed Decipher (the company that makes the RPG game) and asked them whether Okrand had provided the translation or not. They replied that he had not; one of their people had read the dictionary and translated the Qapla' card. Since I didn't see any errors in their translation, I think it's pretty impressive for someone who doesn't use the language otherwise.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: De'vID