[tlhIngan Hol] According to Matthew chapter 1 (quotations punctuated)

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 22:29:40 PDT 2019

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 2, 2019, at 23:21, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> daniel dadap:
>> {wI'qIy turwI'Daq} makes it sound like you’re adding the text to the server that hosts the wiki and not necessarily to the wiki itself. It also makes the > adding sound like a more physical act, like you’re walking into the data center with a permanent marker and going to town on the server’s chassis.
>> So while I appreciate that you’re trying to follow a rule about limiting the use of {-Daq} to actual locations, I think you should be aware that going
>> out of the way to follow that rule can have unintended consequences on how your words are understood.
>
> This is the most wrong and ridiculous reasoning I have ever read in
> the 3,5 years I'm in this list.
>
> You're going to extremes to justify your initial opinion which was
> wrong. I'm dead certain, that if we asked 100 people, noone would
> understand that the words are added to the wiki server and not to the
> wiki.
>
> I have seen again in the past, people trying desperately to prove
> other people wrong.. but this takes the cake.

Given Hugh’s occupation and intimate understanding of these technologies and finer appreciation for nuances regarding how information and servers is handled... I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss his intuition and perspective on the subject.

I experience the same issue often even in natural languages, where people describing things within my area of professional expertise make no sense to me — or imply something really different than what “everyone knows” was meant. Klingon frequently drives me up the wall in trying to describe even some of the simplest things within my domain; but I doubt that many in this list would think twice about or even notice the actual inaccuracy in.

Having a degree of technical fluency in a subject greatly changes your view on what words mean relating to that subject.

—jevreH