[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: So'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 24 07:02:34 PDT 2019

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, June 22, 2019

Klingon word: So'
Part of speech: verb
Definition: hide, cloak

Duj So'
He/she cloaks the ship. KGT

nuqDaq So'taH yaS
Where is the officer hiding? TKD

Duj So'lu'pu'
The ship is cloaked.
(lit. "Someone or something has cloaked the ship.") KGT

HIvmeH Duj So'lu'
A ship cloaks in order to attack. TKW

qabwIj vISo'be'
I don't hide my face. KGT

vISo'be'
I don't hide it. KGT

lujang maS'e' loQ So'be'bogh QIb lurur
they reply, shaped as the crescent moon. PB

ghach jIvvo' naH. DaH pIghvamDaq So''eghtaH.
There is a criminal hiding in these ruins. STID

wa’Hu’ jul So’mo’ ‘eng…
Because it was (pretty) cloudy yesterday…
(lit. “Because yesterday clouds hid the sun…”) (qep’a’ 2016)

CULTURAL NOTES:
(KGT 69):  The challenged party may agree to the duel by answering {vISo'be'} ("I don't hide it") or the lengthier {qabwIj vISo'be'} ("I don't hide my face").  This person is said to {'angchu'} ("show clearly"), the usual shorthand way of saying {qabDaj 'angchu'} ("He/she shows his/her face clearly").

TREK TRIVIA:
  "They're hiding in the dirt like targ!" (Korok, ENT "Marauders")

SEE:
So'Ha'  		uncloak,  decrypt (with permission) (v)
So'HIp  		[type of camouflaging uniform] (n) (DeCandido, "A Good Day to Die")
So'wI'  		cloaking device (n)
So'wI' DaH  	cloak array (n) KBoP

SEE ALSO:
ghach 		lurk, lie in wait, lie low, ready to ambush (v)
Huv 		be clear, not obstructed (v)
jech 		disguise (v)
Qan 		protect (v)
'ang  		show,  reveal (v)