[tlhIngan Hol] What does {Du' naH} mean exactly ?

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 04:37:34 PDT 2019

SapIr:
> I realize I'm jumping in late and may be missing earlier context, but in
> this particular instance I suspect you're thinking of a different
> meaning of "sterilize". The Klingon word {Say'qu'moH} presumably does
> *not* mean "to render incapable of reproduction"

This meaning of "sterilize", never came to my mind.

My confusion with {Say'moH} being given as "sterilize", instead of
"make very clean", had to do with the fact, that in order to make lets
say the cat very clean, you give it a good bath. But in order to
sterilize it, you need after the bath, to apply on it alcohol, iodine
solution etc.

De'vID:
> naH Segh 'oH Du' naH'e'.
> wa' naH. wa' Du' naH.
> cha' naH(mey). cha' Du' naH(mey).

oh, this is good. Finally I understand, thanks.

lieven:
> you could simply look at the definition and accept that the
> Klingon way to express "sterilize" is {Say'qu'moH}. Why not?

Indeed; I have no problem in accepting the given Ca'Non definition. I
just mentioned it as an example, that sometimes, the given Ca'Non
definition can be different, from what someone would understand, if he
just analyzed the word on his own.

And another example would be {'an}. It was given as "be a waste".

If someone read {'anmoH}, he would understand "cause to be a waste",
but {'anmoH} was given as "to sacrifice".

Of course, from a klingon point of view (although I *really* hate this
argument), "causing to be a waste" could be seen as "sacrificing" and
vice versa.

And there is the HeghmoH too..

Anyways, I understand now (or I think I do), so all is good.

~ m. qunen'oS