[tlhIngan Hol] What does {Du' naH} mean exactly ?

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Thu Jun 20 03:05:27 PDT 2019

> On Jun 19, 2019, at 11:41, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is the {Du' naH} to be understood as "the produce" i.e. singular, or is it to be understood as "fruit of the farm", so that {law' Du' naH} actually means "the fruits of the farm are many" ?
>
> Someone could wonder, how in case it means "the produce" (singular), it could be used as a subject for {law'}, but we have the Ca'Non {law' 'ul} (or is it {'ul law'} ?), although I don't remember where it's from.

DIvI' Hol jIyweS yIbuSHa'. DapoQbe'. naH DatoghlaHchugh vaj Du' naH DatoghlaHba' je.

Just because a word is given an uncountable gloss in English doesn’t mean that it represents a fundamentally uncountable concept. (And as I understand it, the distinction between {law'} and {vItlh} has to do with whether something is countable or not, and not whether it’s singular or plural.)