[tlhIngan Hol] Can I place {-mey} on a number ?

Rhona Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 11 01:28:04 PDT 2019

ghItlhpu' Voragh, jatlh:
> AFAIK the only other use of {law'} following a number is another
> example with {SaD} again from the paq'batlh:
>  tlheDDI' quvmoHmeH veng HeHDaq lutlha' SaD law' nuvpu'
>  Thousands followed him to the edge of the city, to bid him farewell. PB

va, chovnatlhvam vItu'pu'be'! And this basically negates a good part of what I was saying in my previous email on the topic. Here SaD law' is clearly behaving as a simple preposed number counting nuvpu', not a noun in a noun-noun construction.

So mayqel, vatlh law' jagh "hundreds of enemies" appears to be correct (although the sense "the enemy of hundreds" is still presumably possible in the right context). I'm still a bit leery about vatlhmey jagh, though, and would stick with the {X law' Y} construction for the reasons I outlined previously.

QeS 'utlh