[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: magh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 4 07:56:44 PDT 2019

I don't have anything else listed for *{magh}.

The KLS example phrases for the verbs were usually just one word.  E.g.

  Dogh  be foolish
    "Quality, to be lacking in good sense, or to be frivolous." (KLS)
     - bIDogh 	You are silly. (KLS)

  Dun  be wonderful
    "Quality, to be outstanding, or worthy of admiration." (KLS)
     - maDun 	We are wonderful. (KLS)

As De'vID mentioned, although the extended definitions were not written by Okrand but by KLS staff, the examples were seen by him:  IIRC if you clicked on one you would hear Okrand pronounce the word.  In a few cases this was useful in determining transitivity when one of the "object prefixes" was used.  E.g.

  DuQ  stab
    "Verb, to strike at with a sharp object... refers to a thrusting motion made
      by a pointed weapon, usually a knife." (KLS)
     - qaDuQ 	I stab you. (KLS)

Most of the time however it was obvious that the English verb was transitive, even if the Klingon verb was otherwise unattested in canon at the time.  I wrote them down because at the time - the 1990's I believe? - what little we had information we had was better than nothing.  Nowadays we have a LOT more canon to look at and discuss.

--
Voragh