[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: SIq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 8 08:59:47 PDT 2019

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, July 05, 2019

Klingon word: SIq
Part of speech: verb
Definition: use the first (index) finger
Source: HQ (10:2 p7)

SeHlaw SIq
touch the control panel with the index finger
 ("which presumably would activate or alter the operation of some device or other, already known in the conversation") (HQ 10.2)

maghwI'Daq jISIq
I point at the traitor with my index finger.
I point out the traitor with my index finger. (HQ 10.2)

ghIchwIj vISIq
I touch my nose with my index finger. (HQ 10.2)

ghIchwIjDaq jISIq
I point at my nose with my index finger. (HQ 10.2)

ghIchwIjDaq jISIq'egh
I pick my nose with my index finger. (HQ 10.2)

maghwI'Daq SIq naQjej
The spear points at the traitor.
He/she points at the traitor with his/her spear. (HQ 10.2)

maghwI'Daq SIq naQjejwIj
My spear points at the traitor.
I point at the traitor with my spear. (HQ 10.2)

maghwI'Daq SIqmeH naQjejwIj lo' SuvwI'
The warrior uses my spear to point at the traitor.
The warrior points at the traitor with my spear. (HQ 10.2)

Used in Discovery (not canon):

ghIq chalDaq HovDaq SIq qeylIS 'ej jatlh pa' DaqHomvetlh wovDaq HInej
[Then Kahless pointed to a star in the sky and said, "Look for me there...
  on that point of light".]
(image seen by Lieven on a monitor in pIqaD in DSC announcement, 8/2017;
  cf. TNG "Rightful Heir")

SEE ALSO:
Heng 		finger holes in a musical instrument (v)
'uy 		press down (v)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons