[tlhIngan Hol] How would you express "root of a tree" ?

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 01:26:51 PDT 2019

De'vID:
> {'oQqar} means "root, tuber". This seems
> to indicate that the word refers to the
> underground part of a plant. But like
> {ghargh}, it wouldn't surprise me if the
> edible part of a lotus (i.e., the underwater
> part) is also {'oQqar} to Klingons.

True, but this is just a speculation on your part, as my interpretation is
of course a speculation on my part.

Since we don't have a definite answer though, and since the Ca'Non
definitions which contain {'oQqar} are with regards to plants such as
onions, carrots, etc, I believe it would be quite a stretch to arbitrarily
expand its' meaning on every kind of root.

De'vID:
> I think you're failing to understand that
> not all definitions which are comma-
> separated lists work the same way. Some
> are restrictive while others are expansive.

I understand this just fine.

What I don't understand, is absent Ca'Non, who will decide in such cases,
what goes for what word.

Show me a Ca'Non example of {'oQqar} being used for "simple" roots, and
I'll be convinced.

~ kjkbkb