[tlhIngan Hol] Order of {vaj} relative to the {chay'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jul 9 09:04:40 PDT 2019

On 7/9/2019 11:27 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> SuStel:
> > chay' is a question word that acts as an
> > adverbial.
>
> Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. I thought {chay'} was only a
> question word.
>
> Are there any other question words, which act as adverbials ?

When I say "acts as an adverbial," I don't mean that TKD tells us to
treat those words as adverbials; I mean the words' meanings are
adverbial in nature. *chay'* /how?/ is asking the manner in which
something is done. That's adverbial. *qatlh*/why?/ is asking the reason
something is done; that's adverbial. *ghorgh*/when?/ is asking the time
something is done; that's adverbial — although in Klingon maybe it's
considered a time element.

Federation linguists classified *chay', ghorgh, qatlh, nuq, nuqDaq,
'Iv,* and *'ar* as question words; Klingon linguists classify them with
*chuvmey,* along with all the adverbials, conjunctions, exclamations,
and so on. The classification of some words into question words
shouldn't make you think they are completely separate from other classes
of words, or that they all work the same way. Barring Okrandian
intervention, the best we can do is observe the canon and formulate the
rules they seem to follow.