[tlhIngan Hol] placing {-lu'} on {'oH} and {ghaH}

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sun Jul 7 09:06:22 PDT 2019

Am 05.07.2019 um 21:24 schrieb SuStel:
> I can't see any problem with using *-lu'* with the third-person
> pronouns. First- and second-person pronoun "to be" sentences use the
> pronoun itself as the subject; third-person "to be" sentences can take
> third-person nouns as their subjects. *verengan ghaHlu'chugh,

I disagree with that, based on what you have tought me: pronouns are not
verbs. (even though they are treated as such in some cases)

We know that -lu' reverse the object-subject, so if you accept -lu' at a
pronoun, you treat it like a transitive verb. Besides, -lu' reverse the
meaning of the prefix, but pronouns do not have any prefix in
to-be-sentences.

In the phrase, {verengan ghaH}, the subject is {ghaH}. Adding -lu' does
not take that away. {ghaHlu'} sounds to me like {one is himmed} or such
nonsense. Theoretically expaning this to a plural form, what prefix
should you take in {tlhIngan maHlu'}? {tlhIngan DImaHlu'}? We are being
Klingoned?

There is no rule forbidding it, but also non allowing it. You your guess
still is just a guess and we cannot know for sure it is correct or makes
sense. Until Maltz confirms.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"