[tlhIngan Hol] pseudo-Klingon words from the paq'batlh

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 07:39:51 PDT 2019

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 6:56 AM Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com> wrote:

> If you are concerned that people will be confused because you are using
> names in Klingon the way people use them in any other language, and you
> want to prevent confusion by those who will try to look up the names in the
> dictionary, you can be polite and mark the names with asterisks, not that
> anyone would expect you to do that in any “real” language...

"Real" languages often have other means of indicating proper names or
transliterations of foreign concepts, so it's not unheard of. English uses
capital letters for proper names (Gowron, Jesus) and often uses italics for
transliterated things and concepts (*Weltschmerz, glasnost, forshak*). In
the case of Klingon, there are so many beginners relative to the number of
fluent speakers that it's still not a bad idea to help them out a little.

For marking "unofficial" transliterations, my preference is towards
*italics*, *underlining*, or _underscores_, depending on what your text
editor can get away with. *mu'tlheghmeyvaD moHqu' DujtlhuQHom ngutlh 'e'
vIQub!*