[tlhIngan Hol] pseudo-Klingon words from the paq'batlh

Rhona Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 2 04:44:46 PDT 2019

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlhpu':
> Maybe someone who is attending the {qep'a'}
> with a copy of the {paq'batlh} can ask him in person.

jangpu' mayqel, jatlh:
> And while he's at it, if he could ask 'oqranD for a Ca'Non
> transliteration of *jesus christ*, he would do me a solid. It makes
> for a ridiculous translation of the new testament, having to
> constantly write *jesus*.

How many other personal names without known Klingon renditions are there in the New Testament? What about when someone goes onto the Old Testament? The Qur'an? More Shakespeare? For all the generous (and unpaid) work Okrand does with us to help develop his language, he's only a single human, and a retired one at that. If we get "canon transliterations" out of him for all the things people seem to want him to transliterate canonically, he'll have no time for anything else. To be blunt, I think there are far more important questions we could be asking.

Honestly, just set yourself a transliteration standard based upon a robust set of principles - perhaps in association with the coordinator of the Religious Text Translation Project - and go with it. Whether you base it uniformly on the Greek renditions, or use renditions appropriate to ethnicity for each person, so long as you have a defensible basis for your choice and apply it consistently across the text then you should be fine.

QeS 'utlh