[tlhIngan Hol] pseudo-Klingon words from the paq'batlh

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Tue Jul 2 04:30:27 PDT 2019

> On Jul 2, 2019, at 05:53, Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com> wrote:
>
> So, why should we translate a name in Klingon instead of transliterating it? If he decides to give the name, it will probably be something like *jIySIS QaySet*.

When Okrand does transliterates proper nouns of non-English origin, he tends to transliterate from the source language rather than from English. Consider, for example, the country names of {maSIr}, {DoyIchlan}, {jungwoq}, {'eSpanya'}, {nIpon}, and {barat}, among others. I imagine “Jesus Christ” would end up as something closer to *{yeSu QIStoS} or *{yeSuwa QIStoS}, to more closely follow the Aramaic given name and the Greek epithet.

That said, while I admire mayqel’s devotion to canon and reluctance to use transliterations for proper nouns that Okrand hasn’t devised himself, I do find it distracting to read a passage of Klingon text with untransliterated (well, technically transliterated into English) names of people and places liberally sprinkled throughout. It does seem that the RTTP has used their own transliterations for at least some proper names, including *{'IHrIStoS} for Christ.