[tlhIngan Hol] Haw' without the "getting out"

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 06:26:01 PDT 2019

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 at 14:24, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> If we say {juHvamvo' jIHaw'}, the "getting out" carries a sense of urgency.
>
> But lets see it in reverse. Can I say {jIHaw'} without the "I flee",
> carrying with it a sense of "getting out" ?
>
> And to say an example..
>
> There is a person in the middle of the desert. He's not in a
> house/tent/oasis whatever.
>
> A second person arrives, and causes the first one to flee, but this first
> person doesn't leave the desert. He flees to another location, which is
> still in the same desert.
>
> Can we say {nuv cha'DIchmo' Haw'pu' nuv wa'DIch} ?
>
> Or since the first person, didn't get out of a place, we can't use {Haw'} ?

But the first person *is* fleeing from/getting out of something: being in
the presence of the second person.

We have in canon:
{may'meyDajvo' Haw'be' tlhIngan} "A Klingon does not run away from his
battles." (TKW)
{moratlh / DaH bIHaw'laHtaHbe' / puj 'uSDu'lIj} "Now, Morath / You can run
no more, / Your legs are weak." (paq'batlh p.74-75)
{yerchajvo' Haw' / qamchIynganpu' / ngIq nuv luHoH} "The people of
Qam-Chee, / They fled their territory, / And were killed one by one."
(paq'batlh p.134-135)

In the first, a battle is not a place. In the second, Morath is running
away from Kahless, which is exactly the situation you're describing.

Only in the third example is someone "getting out" of a place.

--
De'vID