[tlhIngan Hol] New Words and Grammar Points from qep'a' cha'maH javDIch

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Mon Jul 22 17:25:06 PDT 2019

I noticed the {Hut} there too.  But that doesn't necessarily mean nine
bits.  Maybe the name was derived from some one-indexed counting of the
bits, and named something relating to its ending at (i.e. before) the
ninth bit. Or whatever twisted logic gave the French "huit jours" (lit.
eight days) for "a week" and "quinze jours" (lit. fifteen days) for "a
fortnight" (which at least comes from "fourteen nights", so the math
works out for the English at any rate).  Me, I'm going to choose to
believe that it's eight bits (an "octet" to be hyper-technical) and
named off-by-one because of some... reason.

~mark