[tlhIngan Hol] placement of Hoch in a {-bogh} phrase

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 12 06:58:42 PDT 2019

The closest example I could find was the classic line from the poem {lu qeng} (“The Fall of Kang”) by G’trok:

   Hoch jaghpu'Daj HoHbogh SuvwI' yIvup
   "Pity the warrior who slays all his foes."  (KGT)

… but here {Hoch} modifies the object of the action verb {HoH} “kill”, not the subject of a quality like {tIQ} “be ancient”.

Why not just say {Hoch vIghro’ tIQ} “each ancient cat”?  A relative clause with {-bogh} seems overly elaborate.  Perhaps if you would provide the full thought you’re trying to translate.

--
Voragh

From: nIqolay Q

There might be some slight difference in meaning or scope, but I feel like in most cases they'd be more or less identical. My preference is for {tIQbogh Hoch vIghro'}, since it doesn't break up the N-N construction, but that's just a preference.