[tlhIngan Hol] yong and yongHa'

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Jul 11 09:56:56 PDT 2019

If you ignore the idea that {‘el} refers to the action of the leading edge of the moving entity, while {yong} refers to the action of the trailing edge of the moving entity — an idea not confirmed by Maltz — then you may well be right.

I used to work in the Musical Instrument Maker’s Shop in Colonial Williamsburg as the “interpreter”, telling people about the shop, answering questions, and generally managing the crowd while they were there. It was an air conditioned shop — a tiny room that as many as 18 people could crowd into. Summers are hot and muggy there. Leave the door open too long, and the shop ISN’T air conditioned. The Master of the shop and his apprentices would get grumpy if it got too hot, so part of my job was to move people into and out of the shop as quickly as possible in order to keep the door closed as much as possible.

If the person checking tickets outside the door opened the door to let people in and they seemed distracted outside and were not using the time with the door open to come in to the room, I’d be inclined you call out, “Enter! Enter!” and people would start coming into the room.

As the crowd meandered into the room, once the motion of people slowed as they fit themselves into the space, if there were people hanging out around the open door, but leaving the door open to continue to exchange air with the summer heat, I’d be inclined to yell, “Get in! Get in!” and the door would be closed.

That is what I’m proposing as the primary difference between {‘el} and {yong}.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.