[tlhIngan Hol] yong and yongHa'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jul 11 06:31:47 PDT 2019

On 7/11/2019 7:17 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> We have the verb {yong} meaning "get in".
>
> I can say {juH vIyong} without *having* to write {juHDaq vIyong},
> since that would be redundant. It wouldn't be wrong. Just redundant.
>
> Suppose now, I want to say "I get out of the house", and suppose that
> I want to use {yongHa'}.
>
> Do I write {juH vIyongHa'} or {juHvo' jIyongHa'} ?
>
> I tend toward the {juHvo' jIyongHa'}, since {juH vIyongHa'} sounds
> like "I get out the house".
>
> But since I'm not sure, if someone could clarify this, it would be great.

You're assuming that *yong* is an inherently locative verb. It might be,
but then again it might not be.

But let's suppose that you've got everything right, and that you really
do need to use *-Ha'.* The object of *yong* is the thing you get into,
and this object doesn't change when you undo the verb. *juH vIyongHa'*/I
undo-get in the house; I get out of the house after having gotten into it./

Although I can't claim that *juHvo' jIyongHa'* is wrong, I don't
recommend it. This seems to me more like /Going from the house, I
undo-get in something unspecified./