[tlhIngan Hol] Order of {vaj} relative to the {chay'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jul 9 08:24:10 PDT 2019

On 7/9/2019 11:13 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:

> I'll write how I'm understanding this, and correct me if I'm wrong.
>

> I know that the cat has drunk the milk, however the bird insists that
> it still sees it.
>

> I want to say to the bird: "I know that the cat has drunk the milk, so
> how do you see it ?".
>

> So I write:
>

> {nIm Soppu' vIghro' 'e' vISov, chay' vaj nImvam Dalegh ?}
>

> At this sentence, the {chay' vaj} "seems" strange, since the english
> goes "how in that case..", while one would expect to listen "in that
> case how..".
>

> But I think, that writing {chay' vaj..} *is* the correct choice, and
> that the only "problem" is that the direct english translation sounds
> strange.
>

> Am I right ?

*vaj* is an adverbial, and *chay'* is a question word that acts as an
adverbial. I don't see that there is any obvious preferred order, going
strictly by the given rules.

I'm not aware of any canon combining *vaj* with another adverbial or
question word, so we don't have any data to go by. The best we can do is
speculate.

The English can go either way: /therefore in that case/ or /in that case
therefore./ We can't go by the "feel" of the English when deciding about
the Klingon.

Ultimately do whichever you feel is best. There is no definitive answer.