[tlhIngan Hol] Order of adverbials and type-5'ed nouns

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jul 9 06:51:20 PDT 2019

On 7/9/2019 9:29 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:

> First goes the {'Iv}/{chay'}/{nuq} etc, if it's a question.
>

> Then the time stamp.

No, first comes the time element.

*'Iv* and *nuq* — and by extension, *nuqDaq* — go in the sentence where
the answer would be. It's only *chay', ghorgh,* and *qatlh* that go at
the front. And what counts as "front" depends on exactly how complex a
sentence Okrand was thinking of when he made the rule.

> Then assume we have an adverbial and a type-5'ed noun.
>

> Does the adverbial *have* to precede the type-5'ed noun ? Or does the
> type-5'ed noun *have* to precede the adverbial ?
>

> I think, there is no *definite* answer on this matter, and that it
> comes down to personal preference.
>

> Is this correct, or is there indeed a *definite* answer on the matter ?

TKD doesn't make it clear which words have precedence for the beginning
of the sentence. Section 5.4: adverbials "usually come at the beginning
of a sentence." Section 6.1: any noun in the sentence other than subject
or object comes "before the object noun." Section 6.4: those three
question words "occur at the beginning of the sentence." Addendum
section 6.7: time elements come before adverbials. Time elements are
only described as the most common sort of element to precede an
adverbial, so it's possible that other elements can too, though I
couldn't tell you what they might be.

Canon doesn't appear to be too overly concerned with carefully ordering
these elements. I can't offhand think of any notable exceptions to the
general rules, but I'm sure there are some interesting bits out there to
find. The trouble is that some of the best stuff is poetic in nature,
making word order suspect.

In general, I go by this formula:

<subjects>

Adverbials tend to float toward the front of the "adverbials and
syntactic noun phrases" part of their space, though I don't think this
is an absolute. If you always put adverbials before syntactic noun
phrases I don't think you'd have any trouble. The three "beginning of
the sentence" question words are essentially adverbial in nature, and
should be counted as adverbials for the purpose of sentence order.

So no, there are no definite answers, but there are some hints and trends.