[tlhIngan Hol] Do type-5 suffixes follow the rank ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 8 06:55:44 PDT 2019

  yaS wa'DIch ghaH qImlaq la''e'
  Commander K'mlak is first officer. KGT

I knew there had to be an example somewhere!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: SuStel

On 7/8/2019 3:35 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
ghawranmo' Qang, omelette De'mey DIghojpu'.
We learned the omelette recipe, because of gowron, the chancellor.

Now read this:

ghawran Qangmo', omelette De'mey DIghojpu'.
We learned the omelette recipe, because of the gowron chancellor.

Which is the correct one ?

I'm leaning toward the latter, but I'd like to make certain, that the title/rank *does* indeed behave as a "normal" second noun, in a noun-noun construction.

ghawran Qang is a noun phrase, though it is not a noun-noun construction. The syntactic suffix encompasses the entire noun phrase to which it is attached. Therefore the correct form is ghawran Qangmo'.