[tlhIngan Hol] Joining two questions with {pagh}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Jan 29 09:34:34 PST 2019

This description of the issue at hand is very well said; eloquently and accurately put.

It’s not that I don’t understand it. I just don’t like it.

I don’t have the right to suggest that it is anything but the complete, perfect truth. My response to it is visceral and beyond my control, and I’m not interested in having anyone else join me in my disapproval.

It’s closer to the way that HoD Qanqor dislikes the suggestion that he should be named Qanqor HoD. I had an understanding of things that predated the more detailed explanation by many years. Upon seeing that mine was a misunderstanding, I find myself incapable of adjusting to this specific change. I should. I know I should.

I can’t.

I might even like the idea of making the change. Maybe someday, I can achieve the change. Until then, I am stubbornly wrong at an uncorrectable internal level. The part of me that loves the language won’t let go. I wrestle with it, but it’s got a grip that is beyond my capacity to describe in a way that others might understand. It’s wholly irrational. Chalk it up to knowing the language of an earlier Emperor or of a regional dialect.

I don’t want a schism. I’m not interested in being a leader for those who will join me in doing it my way. I just don’t want to use that particular grammatical form. I will break things down into smaller sentences in order to avoid it, without being wrong. I will let it pass without comment when I see others using the correct form. I can understand it. I just can’t speak or write the words, not because I don’t know how. I just can’t.

I know you are thoroughly right on this, and I am wrong.

I am doomed to continue to be wrong for the foreseeable future. It’s a side effect of caring about the language. It’s an ugly, undesirable side effect. I don’t recommend it to anyone.

charghwI’ ‘utlh