[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhu'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 24 13:12:26 PST 2019

Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, January 24, 2019

Klingon word: tlhu'
Part of speech: verb
Definition: be tempted

(MO > LL, qepHom 2017, p.14 WRT "bait" in DSC subtitles):   I think you can use either {tlhu'moH} "tempt" or {ngel} "attract, lure".  In either case, I suspect you'd use the {-meH} suffix.  It would be something like "use a spaceship in order to lure/attract/tempt them."  {ngelwI'} would be an attracter or a lurer, so that could be the noun bait in this context.

That DSC line Okrand's referring to may be this one from "Into the Forest I Go":

  pa'vovo' chaH DIngelmeH, 'oH wIlo'.
  We use it as bait, to draw their flagship away from Pahvo. (DSC/sub)

SEE ALSO:
nong 		be passionate (v)
DuQ 		touch (emotionally) (v)
bel 		be pleased (v)