[tlhIngan Hol] The "need to be willing" problem

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 23 06:53:40 PST 2019

A couple of examples using {poQ} “demand”:

  muSuvbogh DoS vIpoQ.
  I need a target that fights back. ST5
  loHwI' vISuch 'e' vIpoQ!
  I demand to see the magistrate! (ENT "Affliction")

The second example might be translated as “I need to see the magistrate!” especially when accompanied by shouting and banging the table.

For something stronger than {neH} “want” or {jIn} “wish}, {qoy'} "plead, beg" and {qap} “insist” could also work in different contexts.

--Voragh

From: Jeffrey Clark
Maybe something like:

{SuvwI’ HoS Damoj DaneHchugh, Hoch naHlIj DaSopqang net poQ.}
“If you want to become a strong warrior, it is required that you eat all your vegetables.”

—jevreH

On Jan 23, 2019, at 08:27, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com<mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>> wrote:
Re Andeen:
> net poQ

How exactly would you use {net poQ} to express the desired "need to be willing" ?

~ mayqel *I love maltz* qunen'oS