[tlhIngan Hol] -moH without an object

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 11 06:30:14 PST 2019

Other examples:

SeymoH QeH
Anger excites. TKW
HeghqangmoHlu'pu'
It made him willing to die. TKD

--Voragh

From: SuStel
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2019 8:01 AM
On 1/11/2019 8:19 AM, David Holt wrote:
Does anyone know of any canon examples of {-moH} being used with a no object prefix?  Or having an English translation that appears to be using an indefinite object (indefinite subject of the main verb)?  Or presenting the main verb in the infinitive in the English translation?

The object of a verb with -moH is not always the "subject of the main verb." Sometimes the object of a verb with -moH would also be the object of the verb if it didn't have -moH.

To answer your request, yes:

maghoSchoHmoHneS'a'
may we execute a course (to some place)? (TKD)

The agent of the sentence, the entity performing the verb ghoS, is unspecified. The subject is the causer, the entity that causes the agent to perform the verb. I recommend that any sentences with -moH be analyzed in terms of semantic roles. The subject is always the cause; the patient, if there is one, is the direct object; the agent/experiencer may be the direct object, or it might be the indirect object if there is a patient.

I'm not sure what value an English translation in the infinitive would be.