[tlhIngan Hol] Tempting..

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jan 9 08:45:04 PST 2019

Am 09.01.2019 um 17:16 schrieb SuStel:
> I doubt that reasoning.

Of course you do. I didn't expect anything else. ;-)

We see transliterations between English and
> Klingon drop sounds all the time. /France/ -> *vIraS...* What happened
> to the /n?/

Okrand did so because the N is not a spoken sound:

"For "France," pronounced in French, the "n" also indicates nasalization
— it's not pronounced as an individual sound — so, for Klingon, I just
skipped it: vIraS (not vIranIs or something like that). I followed the
same line of thinking for mIyama (rather than mIyanma)."

(Marc Okrand, qepHom 2016)

> I could imagine a Klingon hearing *QISmaS,* hearing that some guy named
> Christ is involved, not thinking too carefully about it, and assuming
> that the holiday is /Christ Moon./

I actually do not seen that a foreigner would immediately see the
connection between the person "kra-yist" and the event of "kris-mes".
And I really have a lot of exerience with foreigners switching languages
and misunderstandings based on just that.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"