[tlhIngan Hol] Can I say maQeHchuqchoHmoH ?

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Jan 31 10:49:34 PST 2019

I like how SuStel has been answering things. Meanwhile, for a speedy answer:

While the prefix may seem odd, I fully believe that what you suggest is a perfectly valid Klingon word.

The weirdness is that the prefix suggests no direct object, but the {-moH} seems to require one.

Remember that the “each other” reflexive suffix requires a no-object prefix. There’s an implied direct object, since the subject is also the direct object. The {-moH} suffix uses that implied direct object.

So, “we” are the ones getting angry, and “we” are also the ones causing someone to be angry. It’s the same “we”. We cause each other to be angry.

The {-choH} is probably unnecessary, unless your focus is on the fact that we are BEGINNING to cause each other to be angry. When you cause something, that cause usually implies change and continuation. If you aren’t causing change, then, well, how is your causation different from whatever was going on before you caused something? I guess you could cause the continuation of something.

Normally, causation starts the action and continues the action, and when the cause stops causing, the action stops acting. Causation is like that.

So, you can specifically note that you are {-choHmoH} causing the BEGINNING of an action (that wouldn’t begin without your causing it, but would continue, even if you stopped causing it), or that you are {-moHtaH} causing the CONTINUATION  of an action that was already happening, but would have stopped if you hadn’t caused the continuation.

Otherwise, {-moH} alone will do the job.

charghwI’ ‘utlh