[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Doq 'ej wovbe'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 14 07:15:43 PST 2019

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, January 14, 2019

Klingon word: Doq 'ej wovbe'
Part of speech: verb
Definition: be brown
Source:

(st.klingon 2/1998):  What we call brown would be described in Klingon by using the verb {Doq} "be red, orange". If the context is clear (such as contrasting a brown thing with a thing that cannot be described as {Doq}, such as something that's {SuD} "blue, green, yellow"), {Doq} alone is good enough. Thus, if there are two drinking cups, one brown and one blue, one might say: {HIvje' Doq qaneH} "I want the Doq cup" [sic! for {vIneH}]. Only the brown cup could be described as {Doq}; the blue cup is definitely not {Doq} since it is {SuD}. On the other hand, to be more precise when talking about the color (when, for example, there's a brown cup and a red cup), Klingons would typically use the phrase: {Doq 'ej wovbe'} "be orange/red and not be bright". To get even more specific (to be able to refer to different kinds of browns) would involve comparisons. For example: {Doq 'ej Qaj wuS rur} "be orange/red and resemble *kradge* lips". The lips of the *kradge* are presumably a particular shade of brown.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons