[tlhIngan Hol] Kelpian

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Jan 11 08:04:32 PST 2019

Am 11.01.2019 um 16:51 schrieb De'vID:
> Warning: If you haven't seen the Star Trek Discovery episode "The
> Brightest Star" (released Dec. 6, 2018),

To be nitpicking, I'd call this episode a "Short Treks" episode, since
it's not available ouside of the US and so not entirely part of DSC.
(that's not clear from how you wrote it so may confusing for future
reference)

> In the Season 1 episode "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum", the species name
> "Kelpian" was rendered as *{qelpIya'ngan} in the subtitles.

Which is not canon nor confirmed by Okrand.

> the Kelpians for food. So both *{ba'ul} and Kelpians are *{qamInarngan},
> and it's unclear if *{qelpIya'} is actually a place name. (Perhaps
> *{qelpIya'} is a place on *{qamInar} where the Kelpians come from. Or
> perhaps the Star Trek Discovery writers made up the word "Kelpian"
> without thinking very much about how it might be parsed.)

Just like the {tlhIngan} are from {Qo'noS} :-)

Another sidenote, which I think is even a lot more interesting: The
language spoken by the Kelpians in that episode was created by Marc Okrand!

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"