[tlhIngan Hol] Tempting..

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jan 9 08:16:42 PST 2019

On 1/9/2019 11:02 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 09.01.2019 um 15:34 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
>> QISmaS = christmas
>> christmas = christ + mas
>> QISmaS = QIS + maS
>>
>> So..
>>
>> christ = QIS
>
> In addition to what others have said, I'd like to mention that this is
> a phonetic transliteration, not one of meaning. So I mean that QISmaS
> fits the sound of christmas, which is something like kris-mas. The
> word "christ" is not "kris" in English, it's [kraist].
>
> So if you stay in the game, a Klingon might have headr of christmas
> and then call it with his words {QISmaS}. I he was told that this is
> the "birth of Jesus Christ", he'd probably remember it as "QayIS" or
> so - but definitely not {QIS}.

I doubt that reasoning. We see transliterations between English and
Klingon drop sounds all the time. /France/ -> *vIraS...* What happened
to the /n?/ I certainly would not assume that every Klingon in isolation
would transliterate between the two languages the same way every time. A
Klingon might easily transliterate /Christ/ as *QIS,* possibly because
they already know the transliteration *QISmaS.* How exactly do you spell
the Jewish Festival of Lights in English?

I could imagine a Klingon hearing *QISmaS,* hearing that some guy named
Christ is involved, not thinking too carefully about it, and assuming
that the holiday is /Christ Moon./