[tlhIngan Hol] Joining two questions with {pagh}

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 09:07:43 PST 2019

De'vID:
> What are the possible answers to this question?

I honestly don't know.

I have asked myself this question too, while I was contemplating this
problem, but I couldn't reach a logical conclusion.

Asking in english (or greek) "do I like this food or do I dislike it
?", doesn't require/expect a yes or no answer; one will say either "I
like it" or "I dislike it".

But in the {Sojvam vIpar'a' pagh Sojvam vIparHa''a'} example things
are different. We have "yes/no question or yes/no question". So, how
is one supposed to answer ? If he replies just a yes/no, then to which
of the two joined by the {pagh} questions, does he say the yes or no ?

Of course, one could reply by saying {HIja' vIpar}, {ghobe' vIparHa'},
{HIja' vIparHa'}, {ghobe' vIpar}..

But would this mean that we actually *can* use such constructions, or
would this be a "cheat" to "klingonize" a greek/english way of asking
?

Only qeylIS knows.. Perhaps one day he will let us know too..

Hopefully, before we join the black fleet.. hahaha

~ mayqel *I love maltz* qunen'oS