[tlhIngan Hol] Is {Sal} a verb of movement ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 11 10:55:59 PST 2019

Known examples of {Sal} “ascend” and {ghIr} “descend”, all from the paq’batlh:

SaqSub'e' muSHa'bogh pawmeH leng qeylIS, HuDmey Sal ghIq ghIr
And Kahless traveled to his beloved Saq'sub, over the mountains (PB)
QIStaq 'emDaq jenchoH jul, yor DungDaq Salta'DI' tagh HarghchuqmeH poH
The sun rises high behind the Kri'stak, when it rises over its top, it is time to do battle. (PB)

HuDmeyvo' ghIr chaH
Over the hills, they came. (PB)

From these three examples – all referring to mountains or hills - it appears that the locative suffix is optional.

--Voragh

From: mayqel qunenoS
Is {Sal} (v) "ascend", to be treated as the verbs of movement ?
If I'm on earth and begin ascending to the sky, what do I say ?
{chal vIlSal} or {chalDaq jISal} ?

~ mayqel *I love maltz* qunen'oS