[tlhIngan Hol] Using -ta' during -taHvIS

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Feb 26 06:53:31 PST 2019

On 2/26/2019 9:31 AM, Daniel Dadap wrote:
>> On Feb 26, 2019, at 08:20, Daniel Dadap<daniel at dadap.net>  wrote:
>>
>> {qama'pu' jonta' neH} gave us not only Clipped Klingon, {-pu'} as a plural marker for beings capable of speech, {-ta'} as an aspect marker for completed intentional actions, {neH} as a verb, and the special rule that {neH} doesn’t use the pronoun {'e'} when taking a sentence as its object, but*also*  the rule forbidding aspect markers on a verb that takes a sentence as its object
> I forgot to include “the meaning of the verb {ma'}” to this already very long list. I imagine that {ma'} was originally meant to mean something like {ja'} does now, and wonder whether we wouldn’t have the similarity between {jatlh}, {ja'}, {jat}, and {jach} if he weren’t forced to change {ma'} to mean something else, to make the backfit less obvious.

*-pu'* was originally a past-tense marker, and *ma'* meant what *ja'*
means now. *ma'* means /accommodate/ because Okrand had to accommodate
the script-change with all this new stuff. Klingon switched to aspect
instead of tense because it made no sense to have past tense on the new
verb *jon, *no matter what the suffix.