[tlhIngan Hol] Asking "why do I need to be there ?"

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 21:58:54 PST 2019

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 at 20:12, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> I prefer to use *-taH* when I'm talking about a movable object that may
> just happen to be somewhere at the moment, but not to use *-taH* when the
> object is fixed. *vaS'a'Daq 'oH puchpa''e' 'ej puchpa'Daq ghaHtaH
> Qang'e'.* But this is not an official rule and cannot be consistently
> demonstrated in the canon.

Here are the examples I found in canon of {'oHtaH}/{ghaHtaH}:
bIQ'a'Daq 'oHtaH 'etlh'e'.
DujHomDaq ghaHtaH.
meyrI'Daq 'oHtaH gho'e'.
pa'DajDaq ghaHtaH la''e'.
pa' 'oHtaH vaS'a''e'.
loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh
retlhDaq 'oHtaH.

No {-taH} on the location of the "1st Construction Site":
tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'.

I couldn't find any other examples of {naDev/pa'/[something]Daq ghaH/'oH}
though I could've just missed them.

I believe the rule is fairly consistent. The location of "1st Construction
Site" is a historical fact. It cannot be moved (barring time travel and
changing history). OTOH, while we think of "the Great Hall" as a giant
building, it's actually just a label for where the High Council usually
meets. I guess we don't know much about whether or how often the Great Hall
has "moved" in Klingon history, but on Earth, at least, a number of
countries have moved their Parliaments or seats of government throughout
history due to wars and whatnot. Another example of a label like this is
"Air Force One": technically, it applies to any aircraft carrying the
American President. But it's become associated with a specific aircraft,
the one most commonly used for this purpose.

As for DS9, arguably, it is in fact movable (capable of self-generated
thrust).

There may not be enough examples to extrapolate a rule, but there's at
least a pattern.

btw, questions never take {-taH}:
nuqDaq ghaH ngevwI''e'?
nuqDaq 'oH bIQ'a' HeH'e'?