[tlhIngan Hol] Placement of the qatlh

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Feb 19 06:09:31 PST 2019

Re: *Duj chenmoHmeH mIw vISov* instead of *chay' Duj chenmoHlu' 'e' vISov*

On 2/18/2019 9:55 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> On second look, your suggestion is a jewel. It is grammatically
> ambiguous, but both interpretations have the same meaning.
>
> The {-meH} clause can apply to either the object or the main verb.
> Either you know the ship building method, or, for the purpose of
> building a ship, you know a method.
>
> Beautiful.

It's really just the standard way of recasting a so-called "question as
object." Find a way to translate the English part with the relative
pronoun into a Klingon noun phrase. I'm not going to take credit for
anything special here.

*ta'lIj meq vISov*/I know why you did that/
*SeSamIy taw pawmeH mIw qaja'laH*/I can tell you how to get to Sesame Street
/*Qang Hegh poH vISov*/I know when the chancellor died
/*DaqlIj vISov*/I know where you are
/*Qu'lIj vISov*/I know what your job is/
//