[tlhIngan Hol] DISvam chabal tetlh

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Wed Feb 13 07:04:02 PST 2019

> On Feb 13, 2019, at 08:26, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>
> the KLI has always been in the business of parceling out privilege to the lucky few. Usually it has been based on accomplishment, and I've been on the receiving end of that in some ways.

As qurgh said, the plan is to grammarians and those who have passed a KLCP level increased influence on the process, but this hasn’t been implemented yet, in part because the data on who has passed what KLCP level isn’t currently being tracked in a useful way. I personally believe that I can probably pass the first two KLCP levels with ease, if not the third as well, but I simply haven’t yet had the opportunity to attempt the test. I still think it’s fair to grant more power to those who have passed KLCP though, as I suppose that most people with the skill to do so have already taken the KLCP test, but I could be supposing incorrectly.

I wasn’t around for the chabal tetlh ghermeH mIw last year, did everybody have an equal quota to submit words? I did participate in the voting though, and IIRC there didn’t seem to be any limits on how much a person could vote, which could be considered unfairly giving advantage to those who have more time to repeatedly cast votes.

> If it's meant to drive up KLI membership, what's the point? Okay, you paid for a membership and now you can get your words, and that membership gives you... well, about as much as it did before. Getting your words isn't a perk of membership; it's the point of membership. Which means it's still a pay-for-access scheme.

Maybe we can look at it another way. Perhaps the problem isn’t that paying members get more influence over the chabal tetlh process, but that there aren’t enough other real or perceived benefits to membership, so it looks like a KLI membership is just a way to buy influence. I am a paying member of the KLI primarily because I wanted to support the continuing work of the institute, but also because I found access to the KLI’s online course useful when I decided to finally take studying Klingon seriously last year. Perhaps the online course isn’t useful to somebody who’s been speaking the language for decades, but it does provide real value to those of us who are just getting started. I’d also be willing to pay for things like access to digital copies of HolQeD, etc., that have nothing to do with exerting influence over the future development of the language, but sadly there isn’t much to offer.