[tlhIngan Hol] Is there a maximum number of suffixes an adjective can have ?

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Feb 12 06:51:51 PST 2019

This is an interesting question, but not TOO interesting.

The twist is that an adjective has a double life as a verb. The verb used as a verb can have all the normal verb suffixes, but when used as an adjective, as SuStel points out, it only gets {-be’}, {-qu’}, and {-Ha’}… except that it is part of a noun phrase, and since it follows the noun, it gets… some of the noun suffixes that would otherwise go on the noun. The question is, which ones?

Likely {-Daq} and other Type 5 noun suffixes would move to the adjective, as you suggest. But the {-‘a’} on “ambassador” would probably not shift to the adjective. I doubt that {-Hey} would shift. Plurality would not shift.

My guess is that noun suffixes that enhance the meaning of the noun would stick to the noun, while the one suffix type that reveals the grammatical function of the entire noun phrase would shift to the adjective. I have vague memories of this being explicitly addressed by Okrand, but others will remember the details better than I will.

charghwI’ ‘utlh