[tlhIngan Hol] ordering and scope of adverbials relative totimestamps

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Mon Feb 11 05:55:25 PST 2019

> On Feb 11, 2019, at 02:21, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "Klingons never bluff"

When {not toj tlhInganpu'} shows up in TKW it’s even accompanied by a note that it might either mean that Klingons really never deceive, or it might mean that Klingons do deceive on occasion, and this is an instance of such deception.

(When I quipped about the “inaccurate but never approximate line” as possibly being inaccurate earlier, I was merely trying to make a joke about how that assertion might possibly have been meta like “Klingons never bluff”.)

Another point against making sweeping generalizations about Klingon culture based on little evidence is that KGT warns the reader against believing in the “Fiction of Klingon Conformity”. It’s a vast empire, after all, and even if we do take the line about “inaccurate but never approximate” as being indicative of a more general preference towards expressing precision regardless of accuracy, it needn’t hold true universally across all Klingons.